In meetings or in your paperwork, you might have heard words that you don’t understand. If you don’t feel confident enough to ask what it all means, this helpful guide is here to explain it all. Do remember though that YOU are the most important person in those meetings- if you don’t understand something, tell the people there to explain themselves more clearly! It’s their fault if you don’t understand NOT yours!




This means that you are looked after away from home – but that your parents have agreed to it. You may also hear people talking about ‘section 20′. This is the section of the Children Act that deals with accommodating children and young people away from home. If you are Accommodated, it may mean that the plan is for you to return home when things are a bit more settled.


Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is something that makes it hard to concentrate, it can cause mood swings and it can effect people’s behavior. Somebody who has ADHD will have it all their lives but is can often be controlled by changing your diet or by taking medication. The important thing to do if you have ADHD, is to make sure that you go to any doctor’s appointments that are made and to also look after yourself by eating healthily and exercising to stay fit.


This is a legal process where a Court makes the decision to give a child permanent, new parents. An Adoption Plan means that Bracknell Forest Council is looking for new parents to take care of a child. The new parents have to go through lots of tests and interviews and the court decides whether they are suitable. If the adoption is agreed the new parents will make all the decisions for their new son or daughter. Have a look at this website for more information https://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/adoption/adopt-berkshire




Adviza is a charity inspiring people to make better decisions that help them progress in learning and work. It used to be called Connexions. Their passion is to support young people and others, at important times in their lives where key decisions need to be made.   They aim to raise people’s aspirations and motivate them to achieve their full potential. In Bracknell, Adviza support young people with college, career and job advice and their service is free and easy to access!! Adviza staff are based at the Elevate Hub. See section on ELEVATE.




This is somebody completely independent whose job it is to make sure you’re part of decisions being made for you and that you have a say about what is going on in your life. An advocate can help you with meetings, make a complaint for you or just sort out something out that’s important to you. They don’t have their own opinions and won’t give you advice; they’ll just help you to say what you feel and think. Here at Bracknell Forest Council, young people are asked at every Looked After Review if they would like an advocate. If you want an Advocate and haven’t got one, ring or email your IRO (Independent Reviewing Officer) or ring 01344352020 and ask to speak to a Children’s Participation Officer at Children’s Social Care. You can also ask your Carers or your Social Worker to organize an advocate for you.

Bracknell Forest Council use Here4Me Advocacy service. They have a website that you can look at https://www.actionforchildren.org.uk/in-your-area/services/childrens-rights/here4me/


Alcohol / Alcoholic

Alcoholic drinks can change the way people behave, have physical side effects and increase your vulnerability. In the UK it’s illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to buy alcohol. An alcoholic is someone who has become addicted to drinking alcohol. The term ‘drinking problem’ means the same as alcoholic. People who are alcoholic can find it really hard to keep on top of things like managing their house, looking after their children safely, managing their money and staying safe. It’s important that people who have problems with alcohol get the right help. If you are worried about somebody who is drinking too much or who has a problem with alcohol, speak to your Social Worker or our carers.


Stress can come and go, but anxiety is something that can stick around whether or not there seems to be an obvious reason. Sometimes it can seem to come out of the blue.

Anxiety can make a person imagine that things are worse than are and they often have physical symptoms like “jelly legs”, dry mouth, dizziness, a fast heart-beat, or feeling sick.

People tend to avoid situations that make them anxious, but other people manage it by doing exercise, reading, listening to music or spending time with friends or family. If you are worried about anxiety or if you have any questions, speak to your Social Worker or your carer. You can also get more information here https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/conditions


This is where people who are specialists or experts will meet with you and find out about your needs, any problems you are having and what can be done to help you and your family. There are lots of different types of assessment and they are done for different reasons. For example, when you are nearly 16, your Social Worker will complete a Needs Assessment for you, ready to start your Pathway plan. It’s really important that you have your say in your Needs Assessment. There is more information here about Needs Assessments http://www.coramvoice.org.uk/young-peoples-zone/faq/careleaver-eli/what-does-it-mean-be-eligible-child

Aspergers Syndrome

This is a disability and a form of autism. People with Asperger’s Syndrome find it more difficult to communicate and interact with other people. Different people are affected differently and you might not be able to tell if somebody has Asperger’s Syndrome.


ASYE (Assessed and Supported Year in Employment)

This is a name given to newly qualified Social Workers in their first year of working with children and families. During this year they get extra help and support.


Asylum Seeker

This is somebody who has left their own country because it’s too dangerous for them to stay there, normally because of war, political problems, natural disasters or issues to do with their sexuality or their religion. An Asylum Seeker will go to another, safer country and ask that Government if they will allow them to live there instead. That Government then decides whether or not they need to be kept safe in their country or if they should return to their home country. If the Government decides that they can stay, they are then called a ‘Refugee’ because the Government has confirmed that they were in danger in their homeland. Sometimes children arrive without their parents (Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children) and they may become Looked After by Bracknell Forest Council. A Migrant is different. They are somebody who has chosen to move to another country for a different reason- for example for work or because they have family who live in another country. These people are not Asylum Seekers or refugees. Look up Migrant on this list.

If you’d like to find out more about this, look here http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Refugee-support


Autistic Spectrum Disorder

People who are ‘on the autistic spectrum’ have a lifelong disability. Autism varies from person to person but it usually affects how a person communicates with other people and how they make sense of the world. People with Autism work, have families and live perfectly ordinary lives, they just might need a bit of extra help sometimes. Here in Bracknell Forest, we have a dedicated Autism Team for people aged 18+ and there is a support service for children with Autism and their families. http://www.autismberkshire.org.uk/  


Behaviour Management

Behaviour management may be part of your Care Plan or your Personal Education Plan or even your Pathway Plan. Behaviour Management means anything that the adults can do to help and support you so that your Behaviour is calm, appropriate and keeps you safe. This might mean things like rewards and incentives, words or phrases that help you or even having time out in a particular place when you need to calm down.


People often talk about ‘being on benefits’. The reality here in the UK is that if you are aged 18+ and you do not have a job or if you are a student at college studying but you don’t live with family, you are going to have to claim benefits so that you have something to live on. Life is expensive. You should claim benefits AS SOON AS you know that you have lost your job or if you are 2 weeks away from your 18th birthday and you know that you won’t be studying or working when you turn 18.

There are lots of different types of benefits:

JSA- Job Seekers Allowance. You get this if you are aged 18+ and unemployed.   www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance

Income Support- this is the benefit you get if you are a Further Education Student who does not live with family. www.gov.uk/income-support

Housing Benefit- This is what pays your rent if you are not working or if you are a Further Education student (not University students). www.gov.uk/housing-benefit

Universal Credit- This is the NEW benefit. See the section on this further down on Universal Credit.

PIP- this used to be called DLA and it is the benefit you get if you are disabled. How much money you get depends on how much support you need to manage your disability. https://www.gov.uk/pip



People often talk about ‘being on benefits’. The reality here in the UK is that if you are aged 18+ and you do not have a job or if you are a student at college studying but you don’t live with family, you are going to have to claim benefits so that you have something to live on. If you are disabled, you will need benefits to help you pay for the support that you need. Life is expensive and if you are not earning money, you need to claim benefits so that you can afford food and basic living costs. You should claim benefits AS SOON AS you know that you have lost your job or if you are 2 weeks away from your 18th birthday and you know that you won’t be studying or working when you turn 18.

There are lots of different types of benefits:

JSA- Job Seekers Allowance. You get this if you are aged 18+ and unemployed.   www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance

Income Support- this is the benefit you get if you are a Further Education Student who does not live with family. www.gov.uk/income-support

Housing Benefit- This is what you pays your rent if you are not working or if you are in full time education (this does not apply to University Students) www.gov.uk/housing-benefit

Universal Credit- is a new benefit and information can be found on the following website and then put the hyperlink in that is already there.  www.gov.uk/universal-credit .

Personal Independence Payment – this used to be called DLA and it is the benefit you get if you are disabled. How much money you get depends on how much support you need to manage your disability. https://www.gov.uk/pip

Care Leavers cannot claim benefits (apart from PIP) until they are 18.


Best Interest

It means doing what is best for you to keep you safe, happy and healthy. Your views are important but sometimes you might disagree with your Social Worker about what is in your best interest. Your Social Worker should always be working towards your best interests, and they are very important to the court when they are making decisions about you. If you are not happy with the decisions that are being made in your life, always ask for an Advocate (see advocacy above)

Bipolar Disorder

This used to be called manic depression and is a condition where a person’s mood goes from feeling very low to very happy. Many people feel ‘up and down’ but people with Bipolar Disorder suffer extreme changes in mood which can last for several weeks and they may not feel ‘normal’ very often. This is a serious condition and people with Bipolar Disorder will need help and support for the whole of their lives. If you want more information, look here www.youngminds.org.uk/find-help/conditions/bipolar-disorder


A budget is an amount of money that somebody decides can be spent on a particular thing. For example, somebody might say “My budget for the Tesco food shop this week is £30”.  Staying ‘in budget’ means that you don’t spend more money than you have. ‘Blowing the budget’ means that you have spent more money than you have! When you start your Pathway Plan at 16, your Social Worker, your carers and your Leaving Care Service Personal Adviser will use this word a LOT when they are talking to you about how you manage your money! Managing your money is really important as you get older and there are LOADS of places to get tips and hints. Start here with these useful videos www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/young-people-and-money-advice/young-people-money-advice-videos/ 


A bursary is an amount of money given to you to help you study if you are aged 16-19  and the course lasts for more than 30 weeks. This bursary is to help with the costs of things related to your course or for your travel to and from college. You do not have to pay bursaries back to anyone. You are entitled to bursary funding at college if you are;

  • A young person in care, including unaccompanied asylum-seeking children
  • A young care leaver
  • A young person getting Income Support or the equivalent Universal Credit (UC) in their own right
  • A young person getting both Disability Living Allowance (or the new Personal Independence Payments) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA) (or Universal Credit as a replacement for ESA) in their own right

Look here for more information https://www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund

If you start a University course for the first time before your 25th birthday you are entitled to a bursary from Bracknell Forest Council, to put towards the cost of your studies. At the moment, this is £2000. Many universities also have bursaries for Care Leavers which you can apply for. These vary in size but some of them can be thousands of pounds! http://www.thescholarshiphub.org.uk/blog/best-care-leavers%E2%80%99-scholarships-and-bursaries


Buttle Trust

The Buttle Trust are a Charity who support Care Experienced Young People by providing them with financial support such as grants for furniture or things that they need, help with University etc. They also make a list every year of the best Universities to go to if you are a Care Leaver. Some Uni’s offer free accommodation AND thousands of £££s in grants if you are a Care Leaver. Check it out!



CAFCASS (Child and Family Court Advisery Support Service)

CAFCASS Social Workers are called ‘Family Court Advisers. Their job is to represent the Child’s best interests in the family courts and they are separate from a Social Worker who works for Bracknell Forest Council. They give advice to the court, work to keep children safe, look after their wellbeing and provide information, support and advice to families.

If you have a Children’s Guardian, they will be working for CAFCASS. https://www.cafcass.gov.uk

Care leaver

A Care Leaver is somebody who is aged 16-25 who has spent time as a Looked After Child when they were over the age of 13 and was still Looked After for at least a short while when they were 16 or 17. Becoming a Care Leaver does not mean that you automatically have to ‘leave’ where you live, even when you turn 18! Many, many young people stay living with their foster carers or near to their Residential Homes for a long time after they turn 18. In Bracknell Forest, we have a dedicated Team called the Leaving Care Service who support young people who are Care Leavers. You will meet your worker from the Leaving Care Service at your Looked After Reviews. Have a look at this website to get an idea of your rights and entitlements as a Care Leaver. http://www.coramvoice.org.uk/young-peoples-zone/am-i-care-leaver?

This is Bracknell Forest Council’s Guide for Care Leavers https://files.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/sites/bracknell/documents/a-message-for-care-leavers-leaflet.pdf?CMnd2MWDdPPN__sdbkzIbmPavcT34He6


Care Order

When Social Workers feel that a child or Young Person will not be safe living at home, they apply to the Court for something called a Care Order. It is a judge who listens to the Social Worker, the Family, the views of the Young Person (which is given by their Children’s Guardian – see CAFCASS above) and anybody else who is involved in the Young Person’s life. A Care Order will be given out when a judge is convinced that a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm if he or she does not become Looked After. A Care Order means that the Local Authority shares legal responsibility for a Young Person and so they can make decisions about where they live, who they live with and things to do with their health and welfare. It is not the same as being Adopted and a young persons Parents keep all of their Legal responsibility for their son or daughter. The difference now is that they have to share that responsibility with the Local Authority (Children’s Social Care).

Care Plan

This Plan explains how a young person will be cared for and supported while they are Looked After and it should include details about contact with family, school, health, seeing your friends, hobbies and activities, pocket money and the support that you will get.. You should have a copy of your care plan and read it; it will help you know what’s being put in place for you. When you turn 16, your Care Plan is called your Pathway Plan and YOU are the person who decides what goes in it, with help from your Social Worker and your worker from the Leaving Care Service.


CAMHS stands for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service and there is one in every Local Authority. They offer assessment and treatment when children and young people have emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties. Children and young people and their families can be referred to CAMHS if they are finding it hard to cope with family life, school or life in general. If these difficulties are too much for family, friends or your GP to help you with, CAMHS may be able to support you. Types of problems CAMHS can help with include violent or angry behaviour, depression, eating difficulties, low self-esteem, anxiety, obsessions or compulsions, sleep problems, self-harming and the effects of abuse or traumatic events. CAMHS can also diagnose and treat serious mental health problems such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.



CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protectioon Centre)

CEOP works to protect children from harm online and offline. They pursue those who sexually exploit and abuse children, prevent people becoming involved in child sexual exploitation, protect children from becoming victims of sexual exploitation and sexual abuse, and prepare interventions to reduce the impact of child sexual exploitation and abuse through safeguarding and child protection work.



You might hear things like ‘who chaired that meeting?’ or ‘who was the chair?’ – the chair is the person who is running the meeting, keeping it organised and is responsible for making sure that everyone gets a say. In your Looked After Child Review meeting the chair might be the Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) OR it could be you! Tell your IRO if you want to Chair your own review.


Child Protection Conference

When Social Workers are concerned about a child or young person’s safety or wellbeing, they hold a meeting with the family and the workers who are involved. They discuss how they are going to make changes to improve life for the child or young person and at the end of the Child Protection Conference there will be a vote to decide whether to put the child/young person on a Child Protection plan. If a young person is on a child protection plan, Social Workers will make regular checks to see that things are getting better for the child.



Children Act (1989)

The Children Act 1989 is the most important law about children who are looked after by local authorities in England and Wales. It describes in a lot of detail what local authorities must do when they plan and review the care of young people they look after.


Children in Care Council – SILSIP (SAY IT LOUD, SAY IT PROUD)

This is a group of Young People in Care who meet regularly and discuss the issues that they feel are affecting Young People in care in Bracknell Forest. They are often asked what they think about the way Bracknell Forest Council is working. They do activities, have days out and in the summer, there is a residential that you can go on! If you want to be a part of SilSip, ring 01344 352020 and ask to speak to the Participation Officer in Children’s Social Care.


Children’s commissioner

The Children’s Commissioner is the Government Representative for all Children and Young People in England. This person and their team offer advice, support and advocacy for all young people who have a Social Worker or a Leaving Care Worker.

The website is really great and you can contact them if you have any issues at all that you want support with. Check it out! https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/help-at-hand/


Children in Need

These are Children and Young People who live in families who are having a hard time and who are getting help from a Social Worker or other services but don’t need to come into Local Authority Care. You may also hear the term ‘section 17’. This is the part of the Children Act which deals with children who require help but don’t need care proceedings. Families in these situations will see their Social Worker regularly and they will have a support plan called a Child in Need Plan for all of the Children/Young People who live in the house.


Children’s Guardian

This is a person from the court who works to make sure that your views and best interests are put forward to the judge when there are Court Hearings to do with your Care and where you will live. They used to be called Guardians or Guardian Ad Litems. See the section on CAFCASS


Children’s Services/Children’s Social Care

It’s confusing isn’t it, how many different words people use to describe the place where your Social Worker works?! Many people talk about ‘Social Services’ or ‘Children’s Services’ but the truth is that ‘Social Services’ and ‘Children’s Services’ do not exist any more here in Bracknell Forest.

If you are talking about anything to do with Children, then it is ‘Children’s Social Care’. If you are talking about the teams that help adults or the elderly, then it is ‘Adult’s Social Care’.  


CSE: Child sexual exploitation

Child Sexual Exploitation is a form of sexual abuse. Any situation where a young person under the age of 18  is pressured or forced into any sort of sexual situation (photographs, messages, videos, having sex, performing sexual activities), is called CSE. Young People may not know that what they are experiencing is CSE and it is an issue that effects a lot of young people.

Have a look at the information about CSE on these useful websites https://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_do/our_work/cse-home



Core Group

Once it has been decided that a Child Protection Plan is required for a Child or young person, it is the responsibility of the core group to make sure that what is said in the plan happens. The child protection conference will decide who is part of the core group. The core group includes the lead Social Worker, who will usually chair the group, the child (where appropriate), family members and professionals or carers who will have direct contact with the child and their family.


Complaints and compliments

Every organisation that works with children has to have a complaints service which needs to be easy to use. If you want to make a complaint about something that is happening to you, or that has happened to you in the past, follow this link to get the details of what you need to do https://files.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/sites/bracknell/documents/complaint-leaflet-for-children-and-young-people.pdf?utz8TDnWluXZlBQfexb7L6SbMqNmsI2A


If you are really pleased about something that your Social Worker or Carers have done for you and you want to tell somebody high up in the Council, you can contact the Participation workers at Children’s Social Care and tell them what has gone well. Ring them on 01344 352020



‘Only people who need to know, should know’. Information about you and your life is confidential and shouldn’t be known by anyone apart from the people that you want to know . You might have confidential workers such as advocates or therapists who don’t tell anyone what you have said. Most of these workers will not to tell anyone what you have said UNLESS a crime has been committed, or you say something which makes them think that you or another person is at risk of significant harm.



This is when people are asked their opinion on issues which affect them. Say it Loud Say it Proud (SiLSiP) is the main ‘consultation group’ for young people in Bracknell Forest who are in care. They are asked what they think about a whole load of things and consult with children and young people. You have a right to be consulted on any decision that affects your life or services you use. There is a separate Participation Group for Care Leavers. Ask your Social Worker or your Leaving Care Worker if you want to get involved.

Duty officer: This is a Social Worker who is available to speak to when your Social Worker is out of the office or on holiday.

EDS: (emergency duty service): These are Social Workers who are available to contact, out of office hours, for emergency situations. 01344 786543

Family Worker: Someone from Children’s Services who is not a Social Worker who comes into a person’s home to help them, they help the Social Workers to do their job.

Independent Visitor (IV): An Independent Visitor is someone who is not part of Children’s Social Care. They are usually a volunteer, someone who can visit you regularly, talk to about things and offer you help and support. You can ask for an Independent Visitor at anytime if you don’t have much contact with your family. 

Informal Advocate: This is someone you already know and trust like a teacher, youth worker or friend who can go to meetings with you and help you have your say. 

Link worker or Key Worker: This is the name used for staff who work in residential homes

Pledge: This is the promises that Bracknell Forest Council have made to you about how you will be treated. If the Council is not keeping their promises you can challenge them. You need to tell us.

SiLSiP: This stands for “Say it Loud Say it Proud” and it’s the name of the Bracknell Forest Children in Care Council. It is for people who are looked after if you live in foster care, residential care or you are about to leave care and want to get in involved. Members come together so they can say what is on their minds about issues important to them. They talk to managers and councillors and make sure your views taken seriously. Anyone can join SiLSiP – contact the Child Participation Development Officer for more information or ask your Social Worker about it.

United Convention on the Rights of the Child (also known as UNCRC) This is a list of 42 promises that governments have made to children and young people.


Contact means seeing people you are related to or know very well. It’s a very important thing for most looked after children. Most people want to see their mums, dads, brothers and sisters whenever they can, and it is up to your Social Worker to arrange how often you have contact and who you have contact with. There may be some people that you are not allowed contact with. Contact can be supervised, which means that a Social Worker may go with you, or that the contact takes place in a centre where there are staff around. Or contact may be unsupervised, which means that you will be dropped off and picked up at a set time. You can ask your Social Worker for more contact if you miss people, but sometimes your Social Worker may decide this is not in your best interests. You can ask for an advocate if you don’t agree. Look at this website for advice https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/help-at-hand/faqs/#faq_2


Contingency Plan

A contingency plan is actually a back-up plan. In life, things don’t always go the way that you hope or plan and it is ALWAYS a good idea to have a back up plan! You and your social woker/Leaving Care Worker should come up with your back-up plans for any decision or plans that you make. It’s a good way to prepare for adult life!

Corporate Parents

You may have heard your Social Worker say ‘we are your corporate parents’. When you become Looked After, everyone who works for Bracknell Forest Council, from the top to the bottom, becomes your ‘Corporate Parent’ and they are expected to look after you and to do things to keep you safe and happy. In Bracknell Forest, Senior Managers and Officials meet regularly to make sure that the Council is being a good Corporate Parent. You can see the details of who is on this panel here:


If you don’t think the Council is being a good Corporate Parent, you can make a complaint (See Complaints)


Councillors and Counsellors

This is a confusing one!! There are two words that mean very different things depending on whether you use an ‘se’ or an ‘ci’!!

Every four years people who live in Bracknell Forest vote for who they would like to run things in the town. The people who are voted in are called the Councillors and it’s their job to run the Council, make decisions about most things in Bracknell Forest and make sure the different managers are doing their jobs properly.

A Counsellor is a person who spends time with people who have things that are making them upset or worried (sometimes called a therapist). In Bracknell, there are lots of Counselling services that young people can use to talk through the things that are worrying them. Youthline and Kooth are just two of them (See sections on Youthline and Kooth).


Children’s Services/Children’s Social Care

It’s confusing isn’t it, how many different words people use to describe the place where your Social Worker works?! Many people talk about ‘Social Services’ or ‘Children’s Services’ but the truth is that ‘social services’ and ‘Children’s Services’ do not exist any more here in Bracknell Forest.

If you are talking about anything to do with Children, then it is ‘Children’s Social Care’. If you are talking about the teams that help adults or the elderly, then it is ‘Adult’s Social Care’.  


Designated Teacher

This is someone at school who has the job of making sure that looked after children in the school are doing okay, that they aren’t being bullied and that they are getting on well with work. If you are looked after and you’re not sure who the designated teacher is at your school then you could ask your form tutor or get in touch with the ‘Virtual Headteacher’.

Developmental Delay

This is when a child or young person isn’t developing skills at the same rate as most children of that age. A developmental delay could be about one particular skill such as talking or writing, or it could be a Global Developmental Delay which means that all skills are behind the average.

DBS – Disclosure and Barring Service

You may have heard the term DBS or DBS check. It stands for Disclosure and Barring Service and it is a check that all adults who are working with children and vulnerable adults have to have. It makes sure that those people who are disqualified from working with children in the past are not allowed to work with them again.

DfE – The Department for Education

The DfE is the branch of the government in London that deals with education. It publishes all sorts of advice and education laws for local authorities and schools. You can visit their website by clicking here:




There are many, many types of disabilities and not all disabilities can be ‘seen’. Many people think that ‘disability’ means that you are in a wheelchair but that is only part of the story. Lots of disabilities cannot be ‘seen’- mental health problems, health conditions and some learning difficulties are not things that you would notice when you meet a person for the first time. A disability can be any physical or mental condition that limits or restricts a person’s movements, senses, or activities.


There are many young people with disabilities and there is lots of support available to them. Check out these websites:





Drugs / Drug addiction

There are many different types of drugs. Some are legal, some are illegal and many of them are very dangerous. A drug may change the way you think or feel and getting off drugs once you have started can be very hard. People who can’t stop taking drugs are said to be ‘addicted’ or ‘addicts’. You can find out more about drugs here;


In Bracknell Forest, we have some support services for Young People who are aged 18+, there’s New Hope:


If you are aged under 18 and you are worried about your drug use or other people’s drug use, ring the Frank Helpline on 0300 123 6600


This affects young people (and adults) and their ability to read, write and spell. Dyslexia is considered to be a learning difficulty but is not related to how clever a person is. Dyslexia doesn’t have one symptom but if you have difficulty with writing, spelling or reading – or get your b’s mixed up with your d’s, then you may be dyslexic and you should talk to someone about this, either your carer, key-worker or a teacher at your school. There is plenty of help available for people who are dyslexic. www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/get-help  


Eating Disorder

When somebody has eating patterns that mean that their health is affected or they feel that food controls their lives, they are said to have an Eating Disorder. There are many different types of eating disorder but they all involve controlling how much or how little you eat or what you eat. If you think you might have an eating disorder or you know somebody who could have, you might want to call b-eat, who are the National Eating Disorder Charity. The B-eat youthline is 0808 8010711


You could also visit the b-eat website www.b-eat.co.uk

Education Health &Care Plan (EHCP)

The law changed in 2014 about how children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities up to the age of 25 are assessed and get support. The Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) replaces other assessments and statements you may already have had.

An EHCP will look at all the needs a child or young person has across education, health and care. Professionals from each area, along with parents and carers, will look at the outcomes you want to achieve, what support you need to achieve them and how that support will be paid for.

Children without an EHCP will usually attend a mainstream nursery, school or college who should provide the support needed. Funding is available to the nursery, school or college (but you might want to remind them if you are not getting the support you need).

If you think you might need support speak to your carer or a teacher so that you can talk about what you need in something called, ‘My Plan. ’Once it has been agreed it will be monitored to make sure progress is being made. If progress isn’t being made an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) assessment will be done.

You can find more information on EHCP Plans here https://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/special-educational-needs-send/education-health-and-care-needs-assessment



This stands for the Emergency Duty Team. Most Social Workers work between 9am and 5pm but there is a small group of Social Workers who are on call in case things happen outside these times. If there is a problem late at night, you might need to contact the Emergency Duty Team on 01344 786543

Educational Psychologist

Often called Ed Psych or EP, these are qualified psychologists and ex-teachers who give advice to schools and head teachers on how to improve a young person’s achievement whilst they are in school.

Emergency Protection Order

An Emergency Protection Order is granted when something significant has happened and a Young Person have had to leave your home straight away. This means you will have been taken into care under an Emergency Protection Order which will last for 8 days at the most. The Local Authority can ask to continue this for another 7 days after that if they think it’s important for your protection. In that time your Social Worker will decide whether it’s safe for you to return home or whether you should be put on a Care Order.

If this happened to you then you probably became looked after quite suddenly and might feel confused and worried. Your Social Worker should listen to you and answer your questions. Your Social Worker might have found somewhere for you to live just for a short time, while they find a place where you can live safely for longer.


Family Group Conference

Sometimes Social Workers and Leaving Care Personal Advisers organise a meeting to bring a whole family together to see if they can help solve a problem together, for the benefit of a Young Person in that family. This is called a family Group Conference and can involve mums, dads, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, even grandparents and neighbours. The family group conference can happen more than once.

Female Genital Mutilation

Female genital mutilation (FGM) or female genital cutting (FGC) is where some of a girl’s very private parts are cut away. It is extremely painful and also damages the emotional and mental health and wellbeing of the girl. It is against the law in this country. Some other countries and cultures do it and sometimes girls are taken from the UK to a country where it happens. There are no health benefits to FGC. Complex cultural and social reasons are often given about why it is practised. If you are worried about what might happen to you or if it has happened to you talk to a teacher at school, a support worker or another trusted professional. You can find out more information from:



Fostering is where a trained Carer is paid and supported to look after a child or children, in their own home. Foster Carers might work for Bracknell Forest Council as a Foster Carer OR they might work for an Independent Fostering Agency (known as an IFA). If your foster placement is not in Bracknell Forest, you are probably being Looked After by a Foster Carer who works for an IFA. You might hear your carers being called ‘Agency Carers’. That only means that they work for an IFA, it doesn’t mean anything else! It makes no difference to how you are looked after but some IFA’s have activity sessions and support groups for young people, that take place in other offices in other areas. If you want to find out more about what Foster Carers do and how they are trained, look at these websites



Fostering Allowance

This is the money that a foster carer is paid for looking after a child or young person.

Foster Carers

Foster carers are members of the public who choose to look after children who are not their own. They are trained professionals and get paid to do this, and they are self-employed. Foster carers come from all different backgrounds and are different ages with different levels of experience. Social Workers try to match children with a carer who they think they’d get along with.

Supervising Social Worker

This is the name given to the  Social Worker who supports foster carers to do their job. It is their job to make sure that foster carers are doing their jobs properly and sort out any problems that might happen in the foster placement.

Foster placement (Long Term)

This is where a foster placement has been identified for you and is where your Social Worker would like you to stay until you are eighteen years old, or whenever you are ready to move out. It’s likely that your foster placement will be stable and you may be with the same carer for many years.

Foster placement (Short Term)

It may be that you are coming into care then returning home, or that you are waiting for a long-term carer to be found for you, or maybe that you’re going to be adopted. A short-term foster carer may look after you for a few weeks or months but the plan will always be for you to move somewhere else, either to a long-term carer, into your own place or back home.

Foster placement (Emergency)

Sometimes emergencies happen and Social Workers need to have places they can take children to in the middle of the night. An emergency placement will probably only last a few days while people try and solve whatever problems the emergency has thrown up.

Further Education

Further education is any education that takes place past the age of 16, whether it’s academic (like school) or vocational (in a workplace) but it does not include University Study (this is called Higher Education).




Grooming is when someone builds an emotional connection with a child to gain their trust so that they can sexually abuse or exploit them. Children and young people can be groomed online or in the real world, by a stranger or by someone they know – for example a family member, friend or professional. Groomers may be male or female. They could be any age. Many children and young people don’t understand that they have been groomed, or that what has happened is abuse. If you are worried this is happening to you talk to your carer, a teacher, your support worker or call ChildLine on 0800 1111. For more information look on the NSPCC website www.nspcc.org.uk/



Health Assessment / Health Check

Health Assessments and checks done on young people by the named Looked After Children’s nurse or doctor. These checks are more frequent when you’re young than when you’re a teenager but are supposed to happen at least once a year and every child should have a Health Plan. Carers should make sure that you see a dentist regularly and have sight and hearing tests as well as making sure you take your medication. If you are 16 years or over you can say if you want to have medical examinations and treatment. Where appropriate, young people under 16 may also have a say. It is for the doctor to decide when a young person is capable of giving informed consent after consultation with those that best know them.

Higher Education

This is University Education for people over the age of 18 which includes a degree course, a Master’s degree and a doctorate (PhD).


Housing Association

Housing Associations are private companies or charities who build or own houses that they then rent out to people. Housing Associations are a lot like houses that Councils provide, in that the rents are often cheaper than private rented places, the tenancies are pretty secure and the tenants have better rights and entitlements if things go wrong or there are problems. In Bracknell Forest, the Council sold all of their ‘Council Houses’ to a Housing Association called Bracknell Forest Homes a few years ago. Thames Valley Housing, Affinity Housing, Quadrant Housing and Southern Housing are other Housing Associations that also rent property in Bracknell. To get a Housing Association flat or house, you MUST be registered with the Bracknell Forest Council on the Housing Register. To do this, you have to go on the MyChoice website www.bfcmychoice.org.uk


Human Rights / Human Rights Act

Every person on the planet is entitled to some basic rights, and Human Rights are laid down in a document called the ‘Human Rights Act’. This became law here in 1998 and now the British Government and British lawyers have to show that the things they do are supported by the Human Rights Act.

 The law is complicated but there are places where Children and Young People can get clear legal advice. This website is fantastic if you want to find out more about your Human Rights http://lawstuff.org.uk/



Independence / Independent Living

This is when you are working towards living on your own without adults around to look after you. You can start developing the skills you need for independence when you’re a teenager by learning useful skills like cooking and budgeting. Towards the end of being in care, you might go off to university or go into supported lodgings. These are both steps towards independence. Your carers, your Social Worker, your family, your Leaving Care Service worker and YOU will use your Pathway Plan to work out which skills you need to develop before you turn 18. Cooking, keeping yourself healthy,  managing your money, cleaning, keeping safe, being in Education or employment, having a good social life, hobbies and interests…..all of these are Independence skills!

IRO– Independent Reviewing Officer

This is the person who monitors your Care, Child Protection or Pathway Plan and chairs your reviews (although you can chair your Looked After Reviews  if you want to!) . The IRO is the person who checks to see your Social Worker is doing what he/she said they were going to do, who can ask for changes to be made to your plan and who will try to make sure that you know what is happening. If you do not know who your IRO is, you should ask your keyworker, foster carer or Social Worker.

IVs – Independent Visitors

Independent visitors are volunteers who form friendships with children in care who may not have much contact with their family. The independent visitor and the young person may go out and do things together. However, the independent visitor doesn’t normally get involved with anything to do with being in care. The hope is that every child and their visitor will go on to be friends after the child turns 18 and may be friends for life. You can request an Independent Visitor from your Social Worker or IRO.


Jobcentre Plus

Jobcentre Plus is part of the Department for Work and Pensions. It can help you sort out what sort of job you would like to do and can help you with training and benefits. You can find out more by visiting;




Key Stage

You might hear this phrase in school – and you might see things like KS2 and KS3 written on documents. A key stage is a set of year groups that you are in at a particular age at school. There are 4 key stages; Key Stage 1 is for 5-7 year olds and Key Stage 4 is for 14-16 year olds. You might hear about Key Stage 5 too, but this is more often referred to as 6th form.



Every child or young person who lives in a residential unit will have a keyworker and it’s the keyworker’s job to make sure that the care plan is being followed and that the young person is happy and settled where they’re living.

Kinship Care

This means you’re being looked after by a member of your family, not your parents, and you’re supported by Children’s Social Care. This could be your grandparents, older brothers and sisters or aunts and uncles.


In Bracknell Forest, there is an online support service for young people who are feeling worried, upset or down. It’s an online counselling service and it is anonymous and confidential. If you have things that you need to get off your chest, this is a good place to get help and advice if you don’t have anybody that you feel able to talk to about it.




Lead Member for Children in Care

This is the Councillor who has special responsibility for Children in Care in Bracknell Forest. This person chairs the Corporate Parenting Advisery Panel.  You can find out who this is at http://democratic.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=440


Learning Disability

A Learning Disability affects people’s ability to understand and communicate information, it can affect their ability to complete everyday activities – for example household tasks, socialising or managing money –and a Learning Disability normally affects someone for their whole life. People with a learning disability tend to take longer to learn and may need support to develop new skills, understand complex information and interact with other people.


Leaving Care Grant

Some people might also call this your ‘Setting Up Grant”. In Bracknell Forest, Young People Leaving Care have got a £1500 pot of money that they can use to buy any furniture or items for a flat that a young person needs when they live independently. the use of the money is needs assessed Your Leaving Care Grant is spent with your Leaving Care PA and you must always get receipts for what you buy. You cannot spend it before you actually Leave Care and the £1500 has got to be spent sensibly. 


Local Authority

The Local Authority is the name given to an area’s Council, for example Bracknell Forest Council. It can mean the whole Council or just one part of it.

Looked After Child

‘Looked after Child’ is the name given to all children that the Local Authority has some sort of responsibility for. It includes all children that are on a Care Order and those who are Accommodated. It sometimes includes children who are back living at home and who the Local Authority still has responsibility for.

Look Ahead

Look Ahead are a Housing Assocation who run the Supported Accommodation for young people here in Bracknell Forest. Look Ahead run and maintain Rainforest Walk, Holly House, Mabley Court and Chatham Court. To get Look Ahead Accommodation, you have to be referred by your Social Worker or your Leaving Care Personal Adviser. You can visit any of these projects to have a look around – just ask one of your workers to arrange it.

Their website is here https://www.lookahead.org.uk/


LAC Review

This stands for ‘Looked After Child’, generally these meetings are just shortened to ‘review’. It’s a meeting which includes the young person and is chaired by the Independent Reviewing Officer and it’s where a young person’s Care Plan/Pathway Plan is reviewed to make sure that all needs of the young person are being met and that they are happy and settled. It is up to the Young Person where they hold the review meeting (you can choose!) and the young person can decide who comes or what part they come for. It is the young persons meeting and they can chair it if they want! The IRO meets with the young person before their LAC review meeting, to make sure that things are OK and that they are happy. These meetings happen at least every 6 months and it is important that the young person comes and says what they want to.


The L and G stand for lesbian and gay which means emotionally and/or physically attracted to people of your own gender. B is for bisexual which means being able to experience emotional and/or physical attraction both to people of the same gender and to people of the other gender. T stands for Transgendered. A transgendered person is somebody who feels that they have been born into the wrong body (for example, they were born a boy but feel strongly that they are a girl). The Q and I are for those who are questioning or whose identity is fluid. So LGBTQI is about including and welcoming all who are LGB, Trans or questioning their identity.

For young people with questions about their sexuality, their gender or their identity, there are some great support websites and groups. The most important thing though is to speak to somebody you trust about how you are feeling. Don’t hide things that are bothering you.




Life story Work

If you have been Looked After for a long time or if you have been adopted, you should have a Life Story Book which explains your life in words, pictures and photos. It should be made with your help and tell you what you want to know. as you’re growing up. It is meant to be an opportunity to explore emotions through play, conversation and counseling. It should include as full a record as possible of your life, bring past and future together so you can make sense of it all. You can then continue your Life Story on the basis of it. It is something you can come back to when you need to deal with old feelings and make sense of and accept the past, increase your sense of self and self-worth and be a way to about painful issues.

Later Life Letters

Later Life Letters are written by your Social Worker and the adopters’ Social Worker. You are the focus of the letter and it must be remembered that you have a need to know why you were placed for adoption. The Later Life Letter gives you an explanation of why you were adopted and the reasons and actions that led up to this decision being made. This should include, whenever possible, the people involved in this decision, and the facts at that time. The letter will be given to you at an appropriate time after the Adoption Order is made depending on your age and the reasons you were adopted. It is usually given to you around the ages of 10-12 years.

Letterbox contact

When it decided that ‘indirect contact’ can happen with your birth family this will be through the Letterbox Service. Your birthfamily and adoptive familyshare information by answapping letters usually once or twice a year.




Your Social Worker will have a Manager and it is this person’s job to make sure your Social Worker is doing the job properly.  The manager also makes decisions that your Social Worker can’t make on his or her own.

Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH)

The Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) is the place where all safeguarding and child protection enquiries are dealt with. The MASH is staffed by professionals from a range of agencies including police, probation, fire, ambulance, health, education and social care. These professionals share information to so that children can be protected and significant harm can be prevented.



Minutes are notes that are taken at a meeting so that there is a written copy of everything that was said, and who said it. There will always be someone ‘taking minutes’ at a meeting; or ‘minuting’ what’s being said. This means that your Social Worker or other workers can check back and see who said what. You should get copies of the minutes of any meeting (such as your Looked After Review) that you were in. If you have not had copies of your Review or your Pathway Plan, you should ask your Social Worker to give you them.

My Review

One of the ways you can have your say in your LAC  Review is by completing a ‘My Review’ form.  You can use it to help your Social Worker and Independent Reviewing Officer know how you feel about things and what you want to happen. If you like, your foster carer or an advocate could help you fill it out.


NCS (National Citizenship Service)

National Citizen Service (NCS) is an experience you really don’t want to miss. If you’re 15 to 17 years-old, this is your chance to embark on exhilarating challenges, make your mark and build skills for work and life. More than 275,000 young people have already said YES to NCS. Don’t. Miss. Out.



NEET – Not in Education, Employment or Training

NEET refers to young people aged 16+ who are not in education, employed or training for work.

NVQ – National Vocational Qualification

A form of qualification that is based on working and work experience, rather than sitting an exam.



Ofsted stands for the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. They inspect services that care for children and young people (including schools, nurseries, fostering, adoption and safeguardingservices etc.). They help providers that are not yet of good standard to improve, monitor their progress and share with them the best practice.

Out of County Placements

Sometimes children need to be placed in a different county. This can be for their own safety, or because a suitable placement can’t be found in Bracknell Forest. If you are placed in another county you are still the responsibility of Bracknell Forest Council and have all the same rights as a young person in Bracknell Forest. Your Social Worker should visit you just as much as they did when you were in Bracknell and you will get th same opportunities as when you lived locally. You should also be able top see your friends and family as often as possible. Out of county is also sometimes called Out of Authority


Parental Responsibility (PR)

Parental responsibility is the right and power of a parent to make decisions about their child. If you are on a full care order, your Social Worker will make decisions for you.  If you have been accommodated, your parents still have the right to make decisions about your life. PR can be quite complicated and confusing.  For more information go to;



Participation is about getting children and young people involved in the decision-making processes and participating in changing and shaping the services that affect them. There are many different ways to get involved. In Bracknell Forest you can get involved through SilSip or through the Care Leaver’s Participation Officer. Ask your Social Worker or Leaving Care Service Personal Adviser.

Pathway Plan

The Pathway Plan is YOUR Plan for YOUR future!! You start to write it with your Social Worker, your carers and your Leaving Care Service Personal Adviser about the time of your 16th birthday and it’s about your future independence and what you are going to do after you Leave Care. it is reviewed every 6 months until you are 21, helping you to get on the path to the future that you want! Your Pathway Plan details all of the things that you want to achieve, the things you want to do, the people you want to spend time with, the future that you want to have.

It is REALLY important that you are a part of your plan- did you know that things like getting money for activities, driving lessons, organizing somewhere to live when you are older, all of these are done through your Pathway Plan? You do now!




Personal Adviser (PA)

This is a worker from the Leaving Care Service who will start to get to know you at 16 and then they become your main support worker (replacing your Social Worker) when you are 18. Your PA will offer you support and advise you so that you can achieve all of the things in life that you want to! They are the ones who review your Pathway Plan with you every 6 months. Your PA is there to help you but they will also work with other professionals to make sure that you have as many opportunities as possible. You are able to access PA support until you are 25 which is a long time! Your PA will start to come to your Looked After Reviews from when you are 16 so you will know them well when you transfer to the Leaving Care Service at 18.




This is about making sure you feel happy, stable and secure for a long period of time – ideally for most of your childhood and into your adult life. It is the aim of all Social Workers to give you a sense of permanence, and it’s about what is right for you – whether that’s a return to your family, adoption into a new family or long term fostering.

PEP – Personal Education Plan

This is part of your care plan and it’s a record of how Bracknell Forest Council plans to educate you. You should have your first PEP meeting within 28 days of coming into care, your second three months later and then they are every six months. PEP meetings often take place at school and sometimes they are combined with your CIC Review.


The place where you are living is called your placement.

Placement with Parents

When a Looked After Child is going to return to their birth parents a Placement with Parents arrangement is made and monitored. This should be planned, approved and assessed.

Private Fostering

Private fostering is when a child or young person under 16 years old (or 18 if they have a disability) is looked after for 28 days or more by someone who is not a close relative, guardian or person with parental responsibility. Close relatives include parents, step-parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents. It is not private fostering if the arrangement was made by Bracknell Forest Council, or if the person looking after the child is an approved foster carer. People become private foster carers for all sorts of reasons. Private foster carers can be a friend of the child’s family, or be someone who is willing to care for the child of a family they do not know.


This is anyone who is providing a service, goods or facilities, whether paid or free. For example, in Bracknell Forest, Look Ahead Housing Association provides the Supported Accommodation Projects for young people in the Borough.



This is a list of questions about a particular thing. The idea is to find out what people think about it. You may be asked to tick boxes or write a short answer. Sending out a questionnaire to a lot of people is a good way of getting feedback.




This is a process by which a person comes to have more and more extreme political, social or religious views that go against or challenge widely held ideals of freedom of choice and expression. Childline have got some great information if you are worried about any issues regarding Radicalization, terrorism or extremism. www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/your-feelings/anxiety-stress-panic/worries-about-the-world/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7tGP78621gIVirDtCh3zSQaJEAAYASAAEgIrV_D_BwE

Residence Order

Is a Legal Order made by the Court and it says who a child should live with, and where. It nearly always lasts until the child is 18.

Residential Homes

Most children in care will go to foster homes – it’s the closest thing to ordinary family life.  Not all young people are happy or comfortable though with living in somebody else’s house and so for some young people, they go to live in larger homes, where several other young people live. The staff there do not live with them (although some might sleep there overnight) but these houses feel like large family homes. These are called Residential Homes, or Children’s Homes or sometimes Residential Units.


This term is sometimes used when talking about children. You may have heard the phrase ‘High resilience’ or heard someone say that a child is ‘very resilient’. It describes how well a child or young person copes with stress and change, and how quickly they can adapt to new challenges and learn to cope and succeed. High resilience is considered to be good and low resilience can make some adults worry about how you will cope with change in your life.


Please see LAC  review.

Reviewing Officer

Please see IRO

Risk Assessment

This is a document written by Social Workers and people who work with children. It’s about any possible dangers that you may face or things you might struggle with and what steps to take to minimise any danger. Risk assessments are also written for events and for buildings.



Secure Accommodation

This is where a young person is detained and closely monitored. It’s often for their own safety, or the safety of others, and can be because if the young person is running away a lot. It’s always a last resort, though. Young People only go to Secure Accommodation if a Judge has made an order in Court.


This is about how good you feel about yourself. If you have high self-esteem, you feel confident about who you are and what you can achieve.  If you have low self-esteem, you aren’t as confident and as happy as you could be. Sometimes people can appear to have high self-esteem when they don’t.

Self Harm

Self harm is the term used to describe when someone deliberately hurts themselves as a way of dealing with their emotions. They may do this in a number of ways, including cutting or scratching themselves, burning themselves with a flame or something hot, causing bruising to the body by hitting themselves, throwing their body against something that will hurt, taking overdoses of tablets or medication, inserting objects into the body, or hair pulling. (There are many other things as well.)

Self harm is a coping strategy that helps people to manage their emotional hurt or stress. It is important to remember that it is not attempted suicide, but it is something that people feel they need to do in order to survive. Often people self harm to try and feel as if they have more control over their emotions, or to get immediate relief from high levels of distress. Sometimes people harm themselves because of self hate, or because they want to punish themselves.

Self harm is NOT attention seeking or manipulative. It is NOT a mental illness but it is a symptom of internal stress or distress. It is NOT just a young person’s problem. It is NOT a suicide attempt, but is about staying alive. Self harm is NOT the problem – the person is struggling with something else. It is NOT a problem that cannot be solved, people can learn to manage their emotions in a different way.

There are lots of great websites and organisations that can help with self-harm issues but the key thing is to TELL SOMEBODY how you are feeling.




SEND – Special Educational Needs

These are particular problems or needs that get in the way of education and make learning difficult.

Sexual Exploitation

Look at the section on Child sexual exploitation (CSE). For young people aged 18+ who are in situations where somebody is exploiting them, harming them or abusing them, help is always available from the Leaving Care Service PA (if they are a Care Leaver), the Police or Adults Social Care in the area where they live.

These websites are also useful:






Special Guardianship Order (SGO)

A Special Guardianship Order is an order appointing one or more individuals to be a child’s ‘special guardian’. It is meant for those children who cannot live with their birth parents and who would benefit from a legally secure placement. It is a more secure order than a residence order because a parent cannot apply to discharge it unless they have the permission of the court to do so.  However, it is less secure than an adoption order because it does not end the legal relationship between the child and his/her birth parents. The Special Guardian will have clear responsibility for all day to day decisions about the care of the child.

There is clear information here for young people http://lawstuff.org.uk/childrens-services/special-guardianship/


Social Services

See Children’s Services


Social Worker

It’s a Social Worker’s job to make sure that vulnerable children, young people and adults are kept safe, that they are supported and that they have lives filled with positive opportunities. There are many different kinds of Social Workers working with all sorts of different  people. Some Social Workers work with elderly people or disabled people, and some with children and young people, or families. Your Social Worker’s job is to listen to you, support you to achieve all the things you want to and ensure that your life is settled and stable so that you can focus on achieving good things! http://www.becomecharity.org.uk/media/1413/factsheet2_whos_who_english.pdf


Staying Put

A Staying Put is the name given to a situation where a Young Person carries on living with their Foster Carer after the age of 18. Any young person in Foster Care can Stay Put, as long as these things are in place:

  • The Young Person is in education/employment or training OR is starting this soon after turning 18.
  • The Young Person AND their Foster Carers want Staying Put to happen.

If both of these things are true, then the young person can Stay Put for as long as they (and their carers) want. The Young Person has to pay some rent and they have to pay money for their food and bills and they are treated as an adult in the house.  Ask your Social Worker or your Leaving Care Personal Adviser if you want more information.


Or look at this  www.catch-22.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Staying-Put-FINAL-WEB.pdf




Child trafficking is child abuse. Children are recruited, moved or transported and then exploited, forced to work or sold. Children are trafficked for sexual abuse, benefit fraud, forced marriage, domestic servitude such as cleaning, childcare, cooking, forced labour in factories or agriculture, criminal activity such as pickpocketing, begging, transporting drugs, working on cannabis farms, selling pirated DVDs, bag theft. Many children are trafficked into the UK from abroad, but children can also be trafficked from one part of the UK to another.If you have any worries call ChildLine on 0800 1111.

Transitions / Transition Planning

This is plan which is made for people over 14 who have a disability or a special educational need.  It says what Bracknell Forest Council will do to support the transition from the end of the person’s education into the next phase of their life.


UN Convention on the Rights of the Child – Article 12

This is probably the most important statement ever made about your rights as a child. The United Nations Article 12:

  1. States Parties shall assure to the child who is capable of forming his or her own views the right to express those views freely in all matters affecting the child, the views of the child being given due weight in accordance with the age and maturity of the child.
  2. For this purpose, the child shall in particular be provided the opportunity to be heard in any judicial and administrative proceedings affecting the child, either directly, or through a representative or an appropriate body, in a manner consistent with the procedural rules of national law.


Virtual School

The Virtual School in Bracknell Forest is a group of really experienced Teachers, Careers Advisers, Young People’s Advisers and Targeted Support staff who are there to help things to go as smoothly as possible for Looked After Children and Care Leavers in their education. They can organize extra help in school or at home with homework, they will help young people to get into College or training, they organize Personal Education Plans for young people and they can also help you get into University and keep you there! If you want ANY help or advice with your education or college work, as your Social Worker or Leaving Care PA to get in contact with the Virtual School





This is the Youth Council for all young people aged 11-19 in Bracknell Forest. Be a part of it and have your say on Local Issues that affect you. www.xpresionz.co.uk/local-service/youth-council




Youthline is a free, confidential counselling service for young people aged 11-25 in Bracknell Forest. They are open 3-9pm and you can contact them on 01344 311200 or at the website www.youthlineuk.com/


Young Offender

This is someone who’s under 18 who commits a crime or is involved in criminal behaviour. They may appear in court, get an ASBO and eventually spend time in a young offenders’ institute. Youthline is a free, confidential counselling service for young people aged 11-25 in Bracknell. They are open 3-9pm and you can contact them on 01344 311200 or at the website www.youthlineuk.com/


Youth Offending SERVICE (YOS)

This is a team of people whose job it is to support young people who have committed crime or who are likely to commit crime in the future. In Bracknell Forest, the YOS is based in an office on Binfield Road. https://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/children-and-family-services/youth-offending

Youth Worker

Youth work helps young people learn about themselves, others and society, through informal educational activities which combine enjoyment, challenge and learning.

Youth workers work typically with young people aged between 11 and 25. Their work seeks to promote young people’s personal and social development and enable them to have a voice, influence and place in their communities and society as a whole.